Friday, December 14, 2012

Tragic event in the news!

Today, we heard awful news...a gunman in Connecticut walked into a school and shot 7 teachers and 20 kindergartners. He was a native of the area and he targeted his mother's classroom and shot 20 little five year olds. How in the world can any human being think of harming or killing 20 little five year olds? What kind of heartless person does something like this? If he had issues with his mother, than he should have handled it on his own time! Not while she was teaching those poor incident kids. We practice twice a month for things like this to occur at our school, but seriously we all think "this will never happen to us!" I can't imagine being in that situation, my first instinct would be to protect those little kids even if it meant standing between them and a gunman. After thinking about it happening at our school and trying to rationalize how I would react, I began thinking about something like this happening in Daniel and Madison's school. How something like this would destroy their sense of security? School is suppose to be a safe place for them to go during the day while we are working and providing a good life for them. Now as parents, we have to worry about bullying that could affect them for the rest of their lives, we have to worry about other children coming into a school and violently hurting them, and now this, we have to worry about strangers coming in to hurt them! What in the world would I have done if this was their school? Thirty five minutes away, how in the world would I get to them fast enough. What if this was your child, 10 days away from one of the most exciting days of a child's life...Christmas? How would you feel if you had a pile of gifts for your child under the Christmas tree and someone robbed you of the joy in seeing their face coming down the stairs on Christmas morning? How would you react? I really don't know how any parent is handling something like this especially during this time of year. My heart is breaking for those 20 families that will not have the joy of putting their five year old to bed tonight! My heart is breaking for those 7 families that have lost a mom or dad, aunt or uncle, or daughter or son! If I could figure out how to solve this, I would do it in a heartbeat so no one would ever have to experience what these families are feeling tonight. I thank God that it wasn't my family and I made sure I gave each of them a huge hug and kiss while putting them to bed tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment