Friday, July 22, 2011

Our Worst Weekend EVER!

When we got back from Hershey, the next day my mom came over. The kids were excited to see her and wanted her to go into the basement to play. To our surprise, my mom found the basement carpet to be wet. At first she thought they spilled something (an everyday occurrence) and then we discovered our humidifier on our AC unit was leaking. We figured it had been leaking for a few days because 60% of the carpet was SOAKED! I couldn't believe it! The basement carpet is only four years old. Well, my mom took the kids to her house and Dan and I ripped up all the soaked padding. We were desperately trying to save the carpet. We got up about 85% of all the wet carpet. At this point, I decided to go pick the kids up, Dan was going to call the homeowners insurance. I was gone about half an hour. When I pulled up to the driveway, Dan was soaked again! I couldn't figure out why because when I left he had showered and was getting ready to go to Brad's Birthday Party. While I was gone getting the kids, the hot water heater went! There was now water in the garage!! What luck, basement flooded now the water heater! We were very fortunate that Dan's dad was going to come up from the shore the next day to fix the water heater. Oh, I forgot to mention that it was close to 90 degrees upstairs because the second floor AC was no longer putting out enough cold air to keep it cool up there anymore.

The next day came and Dan's dad showed up around 730am, Dan and him tried to fix the water heater but it was done! So off to Home Depot Dan went to get a new one. In the mean time, we had three guys come look at the AC unit too. It was finished! We were going to need to invest in a new one. Well, the weekend went by and on Monday the home owner's insurance company called. They were sending out a restoration company. The basement at this point stunk! It smelled like dirty wet laundry that had been sitting for days. They removed the padding Dan and I weren't able to do and laid six fans and a HUGE de-humidifier. They also sprayed everything to help prevent mildew and mold. The only good thing is we were told that the carpet was salvageable! YEAH! The fans and the de-humidifier ran for 48 hours! The adjustor came out a few days later and we had a check in hand for the replacement of padding and reinstallation of the carpet. Thank goodness it's getting done next Tuesday so the kids can have their playroom back.

Yesterday a new AC unit was installed and boy are they expensive! I just couldn't believe all this was happening at once. Oh, I forgot to mention Dan had an over the phone interview for a new position with AT&T that would have given him a normal M-F work week and he didn't get it! :( Our luck can only go up from here at this point. I hope we have made it through this difficult hurdle so we can move on to better things from this point on. Please say a little prayer for us that things start to get better because we just can't have another year like this one again. I honestly forget what it feels like to get good news anymore. :(

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, that's like a storm in the summer! LOL! Good thing is that you had it fixed just days after. But that is one heck of a weekend. I'm still laughing at what happened, and you have a new AC unit now! Good thing the carpet was saved. :)

    Avery Simek

    ReplyDelete